Sunday, September 21, 2014

The "Y"


Built around 1914 and the very staple for years and years of physical fitness and camaraderie around the city was the YMCA. This iconic building probably entertained and raised city youth more than any structure in the city. Yes I said raised. Kids learned and became young men and women in this place for several generations. It offered everything from any kind of sports imaginable to clubs and even summer camping. Not only was it a place for kids to grow it was a place for young adults to stay healthy and network so to speak with each other. It also employed some of the most remarkable people in the city. The YMCA is the same today but with two locations around the area to choose from. They now have upgraded facilities and modernized equipment. I will admit it is very sad this building sits in disarray and is slowly deteriorating away. I can however understand the enormous cost it would take to upgrade this structure. I can't believe the time that has past since a group of us went through there. One of the first of many outings for us. Good memories for all of us and it would probably be safe to say that it holds a thousand memories for many others. Here is a look at how it sits today. 



A darkened entryway sits unattended with a for sale sign on the front of this once busy building.



Some of the most beautiful tile work around can be found in the main lobby.



A nice fireplace with two benches in the front lobby.









More games have probably been played on this court than any other in the city combined. It is the most recognizable gym anywhere. Below are various views from all of the floors as it sits today. 





















When the building was sold the new owner moved most of the beds and furniture from the upper floors using this rope and pulley mounted in the back stairwell. 











The "Y" also started a camp called Pine Ridge Camp that boys and girls could attend during the summer. It was started in 1923 and bordered the banks of Beaver Creek near West Point. Below is a group picture of kids and counselors from 1974 the last year the camp was opened. There are some photos of what the camp looks like today as well.


 Photos courtesy of Tom Carnegie.











2 comments:

  1. I used to go to that YMCA in town from age 8-11. We would have relay races on that running track above the gym floor with the class divided into two teams, a team on each side of the track. The kids on one team would try and trip kids from the opposing team as they ran past. On the gym floor I mostly remember playing a game called "war ball". We moved out into the country in early '73 and it was too much of a hassle for my folks to drive me to/from town just to go to the Y so that's where it ended for me.

    I've seen the Y camp in West Point back then but never to go camp there. I thought it was open after '74 but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your memories! I was lucky and got to camp there in 77 when it was sold to Grace Baptist Temple. It was always the "Y" camp though. Met my best friend for life there that year. I only spent a limited time at the old YMCA. The new one downtown ( Old MA) is my new home in my later years..

    ReplyDelete