Sunday, January 6, 2013

Signs signs everywhere a sign


Many of the signs around our towns are still advertising the businesses that are under them. Many are very old reminders of years gone by. These signs seem to bear witness to an era of a busy and thriving city. Old or new they seem to trigger memories of a history of our hometowns. It may be where you bought penny candy and soda as a youth or a trip to this place with your parents. These signs seem to always be there, often overlooked until they are gone. The point of this post is to maybe spark a memory of something forgotten and if it does then it has served it's purpose. I know some of these signs have brought back forgotten memories for me.The Midway oil sign did just that for me. It brought back a memory of driving with my dad on river road when I was little.I like the old signs lighted by the old fluorescent lights. There are also many signs that are long gone that I wish I had pictures of. I could probably post another story on "ghost signs" (old painted signs on the backs of buildings). I did include a couple of those here. This started for me in early summer driving up River Road and seeing the Midway sign. I have been working on this ever since getting out when I could and sometimes at night. This is the biggest post I have ever done using upwards of 65 different signs. I know I could have used a lot more but chose to stick with older and vintage signs around our home towns. I saved the best for last in my opinion and hope that if this business does not reopen soon that the sign could be taken down and saved. It truly is one of a kind and holds such a rich story of our town's history. Take your time and wander through. You can always e-mail me with questions and give me some ideas.I hope this triggers some good memories for you as well.     


    
















































































3 comments:

  1. Your welcome! I hope I got some signs in here that brought back some memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of familiar signs from back in the day.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! A heads up... I have been researching the Columbiana County Poorhouse for over seven years now. A new post will be opened Sunday and a pretty large story will be run in the East Liverpool Review on Sunday. This is the first of a five part series to run through the summer..

    ReplyDelete